Thursday, June 6, 2013

Humphery & Ms. Sandy


The man to the left of me is Humphrey and the woman to the right of me is known around the kitchen as Ms. Sandy. These two people have had incredible impacts on my life and I am so lucky to have met them working here at the URM. Humphery is part of the men's program at the URM because he has just recently been released from jail after a 28 year long struggle with drugs. His outlook on life has changed drastically because he told me he is "Just to old for this sh**" He is a genuinely good person and has such a good demeanor whenever you enter the kitchen. His personality and stories can make your day and he treated me with such respect and trust I will never forget him.
Ms. Sandy is the head chef at the URM kitchen and after a few days of Elijah volunteering with me as well, she and Andre (the alternate head chef) started to nickname us as, "The Lovebirds". Her voice and laugh filled the halls of the URM's kitchen, and she always made sure you were fed (and fed the good stuff) when you were in her kitchen. She showed me such great kindness that I am so happy to have met her, and I was genuinely sad to leave the URM's kitchen 3 weeks ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment